Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week Seven: Karl Fisch and Computer Technology

Karl Fisch had an important point and message in his September blog. Computer Technology plays a major role in the field and study of education today. Everything that a person learns can be confirmed through research on the computer. All teachers should know how to manipulate computer tools and software because everything that they use will be programmed into the computer. Not only lesson and curriculum will be used in computer software, but student data will also be stored in the computer. It will soon be impossible to perform any function as a teacher without using some kind of program that has been stored into the computer. Several businesses have even made it possible to check work hours over the computer and payroll information that would normally be printed out on a stub. Without any knowledge of how to operate that particular software, employees would not be able to access this information.

Some people may think Karl fisch was a little harsh in saying that teachers should find themselves a new job if they are computer illiterate, but I strongly agree with him. Yes he says that it is nothing to be proud of and I agree with him on that as well. Sometimes we may feel as if we know the basic skills for operating computer technology, but how much do we really know? I think that courses should be offered in high schools as well as college universities to prepare students for computer technology. By the time those students enter the work force, everything they need to know will be programmed into those computers. A lack of this knowledge could possible interfere with a student's success in the workforce. A lack of certain skills and a lack of knowledge of a particular software could hender them from receiving the job they may desire.

As an educator, I felt inferior to other students in my Educational Media class because of the computer software that I was not familiar with. Without the knowledge of how to access information or store information into these particular programs, I could not be an effective educator in the future. How could I possibly teach children about software that I am not familiar with myself? It is very important for computer technology to be expanded across nations to students as well as educators. When I am successfully educated on each particular software and I am able to demonstrate the ability to use the software properly, then I will stand up and say that I am ready to move on as an educator of the youth.

No comments: